Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cotton Country

I have been making home made bread in an attempt to save some much needed moneys.  After a bit of getting the basics down, I found that I enjoyed making it but soon discovered that I wanted to move from just the basics to some variety.  I have yet to try different flour so my methods are the same for choosing flour.  That is I go to Sam's and purchase the Bread Flour or the All Purpose Flour in order to make any and all of my bread.
As I was looking for some new recipes I happened across this book called "Cotton Country" that my Grandmother had given my Mother back in 1974.  I started thumbing the pages and saw to my delight that there was tons of great recipes that I could use to get more flavor and variety on my table.
Being raised southern and having those wonderful food flowing through my veins (probably indeed clogging them up at times) I found a great recipe for Sourdough Starter and Sourdough French Bread.



The Starter 
Okay, get ready because this recipe will take some planning but it is worth it. 
1/2 cup warm water
1 Package yeast (this would be about 2 1/2 teaspoons of fast acting yeast if you buy in bulk)
1/2 cup cooked unseasoned mashed potatoes
Flour
Water
Directions:

Dissolve yeast in the warm water and mix it into the mashed potatoes.  Then put it in a jar (I used a canning jar but have since graduated into a handsome clay pot with like like a mustered pot with lid).  Keep the lid loose and sit it on the counter for 3 days.  Stir occasionally.  After 3 days, add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water and let sit for 8 hours.  After 8 hours then add 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of water.  Let sit again for 8 hours then add 2 cups of flour and 2 cups of water.  Let sit again for 8 hours.  As you are starting to notice you can double every eight hours.  At this point you are ready to make your bread or you can use it in Hot Cakes or Waffles.  Just keep about 1/2 always in reserve that way you can have sourdough goods. 



 Sourdough French Bread
2 packages dry Yeast (5 tsp fast acting yeast if bought in bulk)
1 cup of warm water 
2 tablespoons sugar 
1 1/2 cups sourdough starter 
5 Cups Flour (now you may need more)
2 teaspoons salt 
 In a large bowl sprinkle yeast over warm water and let dissolve. (about 5 minutes).
Stir in sugar, sourdough starter and  4 cups of flour mixed with salt.  
Place in a warm location cover with warm damp cloth and let rise for 1 1/2 hours. 
After that add 1 cup of flour then turn out on floured surface (or use your kitchen aid with bread hook) and knead in enough flour to make a stiff non sticky dough.  Then shape into two long loafs and place on cookie sheet dusted with corn meal and place in warm area and let rise until double its size.  You can then top as you like by brushing the loafs with melted butter or an egg wash ( 1/2 cup warm water and 1 to 2 tablespoons of egg white or just water) Slice three slashes with a razor in the top of the loafs then bake at 400 for 40 to 50 minutes.  
The recipe calls for you to put some boiling water in a shallow tray in the bottom of the oven.  I have done it with and with out this.   The recipe also calls for 1 1/2 hours on the second rise.  I have found this to be a little too much as their call for the 5 cups of flour to be too little.   All in all I love this recipe and will make my notes on it for successful baking as I am sure you will add yours.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your recipes and kitchen stories and comments!